On Happiness…

It is often mused in literature and cinema, that to achieve happiness in life, you must take notice of the little things that surround you. That somewhere within the seemingly never-ending mundane routines that we endure, we can discover fleeting glimmers of joy. I whole-heartedly embrace this ideology, though admittedly it can be difficult to maintain on a daily basis.

However I like to think of myself as a glass-half-full kind of girl, and living in this beautiful city on the English coast certainly makes it easy to discover magic in the monotony. A few weeks ago marked my first year anniversary of living in Brighton, though what with my comings-and-goings over the last three years it certainly feels like longer!

I am still completely in love with this place. I adore seeing the sea (almost) every day, and discovering how many varied and beautiful blue and green hues the waves can turn. I love the people, the sense of community, the food (markets, cafes, restaurants…I have a serious love affair with grub!) and the fact that there is nearly always something to see, or hear or experience.

Which leads me very nicely into an afternoon walk Joshua and I took a week or so ago…

We decided to make the most of the clear, bright weather and head to a nearby park called ‘The Level’, somewhere we used to frequent (see here and here) prior to Josh moving away from the area.
In the last year the park has undergone a huge renovation, funded by a National Lottery grant.

I wore a new vintage skirt from Beyond Retro, with jersey basics from H&M, vintage Dior stockings, and a turban headband, necklace and shoes all from Topshop ages ago.
Though completely enamoured with the fabric of this skirt, it did prove to be a bit of a tricky one in terms of building an outfit around it! I felt somewhere between 1920’s flapper and a genie in the end!
And of course, I had to bring along one of my notoriously impractical vanity cases! I found this little blue one in Lewes last year, it certainly brightens up a cloudy day!

Now whilst I had heard amazing things about the results of the renovation of the park, I had yet to see it for myself, and was eager to discover how they’d transformed a pretty dated, derelict space into somewhere that was better for the whole community.

Please believe me when I say, I was completely blown away.
It’s beautiful. And it certainly fits the bill with regards to the whole community!
There is a new huge skatepark (how often are teenagers/youths overlooked in projects like this?) which we stood and watched people using for ten minutes or so. It’s a well thought out space, with (from what I can gather in my limited knowledge of such things!) practically every kind of concrete structure you could possible want as a skater!

An eco-cafe with solar panels and a grass roof opens next month, and the kids playground is just amazing! The space is natural, with so many plants and trees amongst the play areas, creating little walk ways for small people to explore.

And then there are the bridges…
We were lucky enough to have a bit of a chat to the project manager, who informed us (between us gushing at how great we thought the park now looked!) that the two bridges that stand central in the park are actually listed.

Therefore as part of the conditions of maintaining the grant, they had to stay, and the vine walk-way that originally stood around them had to be re-built.

Whilst the model boat lake may be gone, it’s nice to have a nod to yesteryear within all the newness.
We were then about to head off for some lunch, when we were stopped and photographed by a lovely lady called Ingrid.
I didn’t think too much of it afterwards, until…
She not only sent the photo, but this amazing illustration she did of us too! Ingrid (Allan) is studying at Brighton University, and snapped us as part of her latest project.
I’m so thrilled she did!

So, in what started as a walk to ‘just get out of the house’ turned out to be a beautiful afternoon. Not only did it cement my adoration for the city I’ve chosen to call home for the last year, but helped me to remember that wonderful Roald Dahl quote.

‘And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it’

Love Yours Truly, x

22 COMMENTS:

1. such a cute illustration, sounds like a lovely days walk. The blue bag is quite amazing xx

2. Wow 🙂 I love your skirt, the Roald Dahl quote and the drawing!

3. Oh wow, that drawing is so special! I’m very glad she sent it to you. Such a wee gesture but I’m sure it made you grin ear to ear. And happy to hear that the restoration of an old favourite park of yours has gone so right. Glad they kept the bridges too – though there’s really no reason not to…

4. I swear that every time you post you look more and more beautiful. I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again, I so adore your hair, and your make up is ALWAYS flawless. Plus, I’ve never seen anyone else with style like yours. It’s so unique. Just stunning, Kerry.

The illustration is fabulous, how lovely of her to send it!!

Tori
    xx

5. aww what a lovely lovely blog post and photographs and outfit and place and of course lady :))
    I have been back to Brighton last year for a day, after been there when I was 16 (looooooong time ago) and I fell in love with the place.
    If just only for few hours I feel that atmosphere you are talking about : the sea, the markets, the people..really nice place to live in.

Ila x

6. I wholeheartedly agree with cherishing the little moments in life. It has taken me so long to finally discover that it is really important to take time out, especially in times of stress.

Your outfit is gorgeous! And the park certainly looks beautiful

xx Carina

7. Brighton sounds like a wonderful place. I always enjoy seeing your pictures. Gorgeous! I love that you two were randomly stopped for a picture too. The illustration is fantastic!

8. If I wasn’t missing Brighton before I seriously am now! I love your blog more every time I read xx

9. You are very positive person. Thank’s to you I have a good day!

10. it’s always refreshing to read your blog girl, you remind me of what really matters in life!, thanks for sharing.

11. A wonderful blog post – it made me long for weekend walks with my boyfriend 🙂
    And the blue vanity case is just adorable …

12. This post is so lovely, it’s overwhelming! You look really gorgeous – I adore your skirt and your coat. It is so important to cherish the little things, but so easy to forget to! I’ve never been to Brighton but it’s at the top of my travelling wish list xx

13. I love your last sentence in this post and that illustration as well. It captured you both perfectly.

bisous
    Suzanne

14. Lovely post ! I definitely want to go to Brighton one day…
    Kisses from France.

15. One of my favourite quotes ever! In my book I would say an outfit is perfect when it reminds you of being half way between a flapper and a Genie.
    Oh goodness that park is amazing. The perfect combination of nature, heritage and community, more towns should follow this lead. I feel like it’s the perfect way for us to move forward and start putting right some of the damage we have done to our environment.
    You are looking so beautiful lovely lady. Hope you have a wonderful holiday. xx

16. Lovely post, you are such a wonderful woman. I adore visiting your blog. kisses from Poland.

17. Brighton is a fantastic place to be, you’re very lucky – the Texan and I love to visit when we can, but a trip is certainly overdue!

Kerry, your blog posts really are some of the best in the blogosphere and I just wanted to let you know how much I look forward to catching-up with Yours Truly x – I don’t comment half as much as I should (mostly because I tend to read blogs from my iPhone on the train to work and it’s a pain in the bum trying to leave a comment!) but I just wanted to let you know that!

18. You look gorgeous and what a lovely illustration! I used to live in Brighton and know the park you mean, it’s nice your news of it! 🙂 Have a lovely November pretty lass! Zoë x

19. I love afternoons like this – that just unroll in front of you, so all you have to do is to follow. What a great illustration too. I do like the way that Ingrid has caught the details of both your outfits.

20. That is such an adorable drawing.

21. Adorable outfit, loving the couple look 🙂